Due to the variety of platforms and tools that determine the mobile market, cross-platform app development has proven to be the most economically reasonable solution. In contrast to native app development, code that gets generated with a cross-platform development tool can get used for various platforms and devices.
With a cross-platform tool, app programming not only curbs programming charges but also saves you the trouble of updating and managing your apps.
We wrote this article to assist you with the pros and cons of the cross-platform app development tools so that you can choose the best one according to your dream app requirements.
These cross-platform app development tools assist you in building great hybrid apps – for both Android and iOS.
- Native script
- Kony platform
In Xamarin, the C # codebase can apply universally to multiple platforms. Nevertheless, unlike other frameworks, the tool allows developers to work with native IDEs, languages , and APIs. Also, Git integration is an integral part of Xamarin Studio.
- Xamarin offers some sample apps that make it quick and easy to get started.
- Xamarin allows you to share almost three-quarters of the code across major mobile platforms. In this way, you minimalize development costs and also the TTM value (time-to-market).
- It supports functional testing and quality monitoring for a wide range of devices. Xamarin also has an Android emulator.
The prevailing compatibility obstacles with open source libraries for Android and iOS are a bit of a deterrent to developing a full-fledged app with Xamarin. This issue is a topic that the Xamarin community has yet to turn to encourage developers to use Xamarin to implement a substantial project.
The rumors that PhoneGap is only suitable for simple apps and that PhoneGap apps hardly exploit the capabilities of the device have increased. It is because the integration of a large selection of plugins such as the Image Capture Plugin, the Media Recorder Plugin, the Push Plugin, and various others, cleared.
- Cross-platform use of code (iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, and Firefox OS) can reduce the TTM (time-to-market).
- PhoneGap has a plugin-compatible architecture. This design of the tool enables developers to access the full range of features of the device via APIs, and in this way, to program featured apps.
- PhoneGap supports in-app purchases for the App Store (iOS), the Google Play Store (Android), and other stores.
With graphics-intensive apps, you may experience performance problems. However, developers can overcome this challenge by implementing third-party solutions that improve caching lagging components and accelerate graphics. With OEMs offering better technical specifications, you shouldn’t have to worry too much about this issue.
- NativeScript incorporates support for Angular and TypeScript.
- Apps use native components and have direct access to the native APIs, which also includes full access to the development libraries.
- The tool has a cross-platform declarative UI support that allows you to develop a user interface first and then implement it on various platforms.
A potential problem in NativeScript is multithreading, which should get improved in later releases. Also, detailed examples and documentation of the specific features are missing.
This tool is a software development kit, which is so efficient that it uses a single codebase to create a web app, android app, and iOS applications. Flutter is an open-source user interface SDK created by Google in the year 2017.
- With the support of various APIs, Flutter makes it easier to use the comprehensive capabilities of the device.
- Third-party API support also reduces development time, effort, and money as developers don’t have to wrestle with the complexities of each platform.
- This tool also works with the web, and it also offers proper documentation so that the developer can have a better grasp. This feature allows you to check how native controls work.
Flutter is a large and bulky tool to have in your arsenal. This tool takes a longer duration to download and update than other platforms.
5.KONY APP PLATFORM
- Kony offers demo apps that give developers a smooth start.
- The platform supports a broad range of backend systems.
The documentation and support available on the web for the Kony App Platform are insufficient.
Out of these beautiful tools, one may find it tough to choose only one tool that can do all. In our opinion, Flutter can be the most convenient tool to develop any cross-platform app as it has comprehensive features like using the same codebase to develop iOS, Android, and web-based apps.
And where there is less code, there are fewer bugs. Hence our final thoughts lie with Flutter. What are your thoughts? If you have something to add to this article, please comment below. Chao!